One of the delicious, refreshing hot summer agar-agar jelly fruit cake recipe. Jelly cake, Jelly candies jelly beans; there are lots of Jelly recipes to try. Raspberries, cranberries, lemon, and a lot more flavours to try. One of my favourites is liquorice. Both kids and adults are fond of this tasty dish.
How to make jelly?
Generally, jelly is made using gelatin, along with sugar, colour additives, and flavourings. Jelly is made by extracting fruit juice and cooking it with sugar but in a spreadable consistency. It’s often used with whole fruits that have seeds in them or skins, like grapes, cranberries, and raspberries. Homemade jelly will have a complex flavour that you may not find in the generic jars at grocery stores.
What is china grass?
China grass is a term for agar-agar, a jelly-like substance obtained from certain algae. It might have been called China grass because it is used in many desserts in East Asia, and because it comes from algae, which is kind of like the sea’s grass. It gives a smooth, glossy finish and many chefs prefer to use it over gelatin.
What is agar?
Agar–agar is a natural vegetable gelatin counterpart. It can be used to make jellies, puddings, and custards. When making jelly, it is boiled in water until the solids dissolve. It is white and semi-translucent when sold in packages as washed and dried strips or in powdered form.
Today, we are going to make an agar fruit jelly cake. This tropical jelly fruit cake includes tropical fruits available.
The fruit jelly cake can be made in small cups to serve in small quantities for party needs. These fruit jelly cups will be a hit in parties to entertain the young ones.
How to make clear agar-agar fruit jelly cake dessert?
This is a light, refreshing and naturally sweetened. The tropical fruits we add in this recipe is naturally sweet and comes along with a lot of fragrance and flavours. Lychee juice is used as a base for this agar recipe. This agar-agar jelly recipe with fruits will take place in your favourite dessert list.
Check out Game Of Spice on YouTube for a detailed video description.
Agar-agar jelly fruit cake ingredients
Agar-agar is a vegetarian substance used to make jellies. I am using the agar strips for this recipe. I used a scissor to chop them into small pieces and I used spice grinder to make the agar into tiny pieces to make the process easier. Instead, you can use the agar powder.
Tropical fruits are a variety of brightly-coloured and nutritious fruits. They don’t only taste great, they also have enormous health benefits and should be considered an essential part of a healthy diet if living in these tropical regions. I am using some of the tropical fruits here to boost up the nutritious value and they include kiwi, mango, jackfruit, dragon fruit and pomegranate.
I am using lychee juice as a base to get the clear, see-through jelly.
You can avoid adding sugar if the fruits and lychee juice are sweet enough. Otherwise use white sugar or raw powdered sugar.
Similar agar-agar desserts
White chocolate mango cups– Mango dessert recipe placed inside homemade white chocolate cups.
Milo jelly-A kids’ friendly jelly recipe made using simple ingredients like milo and agar-agar.
Red ruby milk pudding– A famous Thai restaurant dessert made in a low-fat version and served as a pudding.
Agar-agar jelly fruit cake
- Mould for jelly
- 300 ml Lychee juice
- 1 Kiwi
- ½ Mango
- 2 Jackfruit pieces
- ¼ Dragon fruit white
- 10 to 13 gm Agar agar
- 4 tbsp Pomegranate
- 2 tsp Sugar optional
- ¼ to ½ cup Water or just enough to cover the agar strips
- Add water in a pan and heat.
- Bring the water to boil.
- Add agar-agar strips. If you prefer add agar powder instead.
- Cook until the agar dissolves completely.
- Add lychee juice and cook for a few minutes until the agar blends together with lychee juice thoroughly.
- If you intend to add sugar add now.
- Keep aside the lychee-agar mixture.
- Place a layer of fruits in the mould that you intend to use.
- Pour the lychee-agar mixture.
- Place the remaining fruits and arrange them in a manner that the fruit will fit perfect in the mould.
- After pouring the remaining lychee-agar mixture and give a nice tap to release the air bubbles if any.
- Keep refrigerated for 1 to 2 hours.
- Unmould the jelly in a plate.
- Serve as it is or serve with your favourite fruit sauce.
- Avoid adding brown sugar or Gula Melaka as they tend to change the colour of the jelly and spoil the clear see-through appearance.
- You can add your favourite or choice of fruits.
- Berries will be suitable too.
- When you use agar powder make sure it does not contain any colour to retain the see-through clear look of the jelly.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.