Some sugar craving started in the morning. I was trying to postpone the cravings to lower my sugar intake. Then I finally convinced myself to eat one or two sweets to satisfy the craving to avoid eating a lot of sugar if I postpone.
I was thinking which sweet to prepare as I don’t buy many sweets from outside. I started dreaming of triple chocolate cake, tiramisu cake, butter cookies, gulab jamun, fudge brownies, instant chocolate pie, jello chocolate pudding.😋
Finally, all the imaginary desserts vanished. Here comes reality. I could make some desserts with only what ingredients I have. Fresh tapioca root/cassava roots were in my refrigerator.
We know a lot of tapioca recipes, be it sweet or savoury. And the very famous bubble tea(boba) is also made up by tapioca. Instant tapioca pearls are available in supermarkets nowadays.
So I decided to make a traditional tapioca cake. Kueh is the common name for these Malay desserts. Air fryer tapioca cake is the recipe I am planning to make today. If you get yellow tapioca then it is best to use to retain the yellow colour for the dish.
This high calorie and high carb food are suitable for active young kids. Coconut milk is used to get the soft, rich and flavourful texture.
White chocolate mango cups– A mango dessert recipe made using fresh mango and white chocolate is used as a cup to contain the mango filling.
Kunafa-simple and easy Middle Eastern dessert-A simple Middle Eastern dessert recipe made using fried vermicelli and a milk sauce filling and topped with crushed pistachio.
Sweet milk wonton-Store-bought wonton wraps used to make a dessert with Bengal gram and milk. Kids will love this recipe.
Air fryer tapioca cake
- Air fryer
- 500 gm Tapioca
- 200 ml Coconut milk Thick
- 100 gm Sugar
- 3 Pandan leaves
- 1 Egg optional
- Peel off the skin and wash the tapioca.
- Use a cheese grater to grate the tapioca into very small shreds. Leave this aside for 30 minutes.
- Use a white or muslin cloth to squeeze and strain the water from tapioca.
- Keep the strained water for 10 minutes without moving it. Drain the water and collect the starch.
- Now mix tapioca, sugar, coconut milk and tapioca starch until everything blends together.
- If you are using egg, beat it separately until foam.
- Now add the egg into the tapioca mixture and mix them together.
- Preheat the air fryer at 160C for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a baking paper placed pan or cake mould.
- Place some pandan leaves in the top of the batter.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 160C. And then, cook on the increased temperature of 200C for 5 minutes.
- Cook until the top of tapioca pudding gets golden brown.
- Remove the pandan leaves.
- Cool it for 10 minutes before cutting into small.
- Serve with fresh coconut.
- To enhance the taste, you can add grated coconut in the batter too.
- The same recipe can be steamed.
- Remove the pandan leaves before serving.
- Yellow tapioca gives a nice colour to the dish. If you can get yellow tapioca use it.
- You can avoid the egg to make the recipe vegetarian.
If white tapioca is only available then you can add turmeric powder or yellow food colour to retain the yellow colour. Or otherwise, you can use white tapioca. There won’t be any taste difference. This recipe can be used as a mini dessert in parties. This is one among the foods served in Malay Weddings.
Check out my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.