Some of the smells and aromas will unlock your childhood memory that is entangled with. One of the dishes is coconut cake/burfi. Of course, they were in white colour sprinkled with fried grams and perfectly shaped in squares. Coconut burfi is a South Indian snack/sweet that includes coconut, milk, sugar and cardamom powder. But I wanted to try this pandan coconut cake/burfi instead.
So, what is special in this pandan coconut cake/burfi?
This pandan coconut burfi is a purely used pandan extract that is extracted from pandan leaves compared to the store-bought pandan extract. Freshly brewed pandan extract is the key to this recipe.
Did I add any colour to get the green colour for the pandan coconut cake/burfi?
No, I did not add any colour to this pandan coconut burfi as the pandan leaf itself gives the natural green colour. See the bottom of the page to get an idea of how to make pandan extract from fresh pandan leaves.
Can I use any other type of sugar/sweetener?
Jaggery, black sugar and brown sugar have their dominant taste and brown colour, it will diminish the natural green colour of the pandan leaves. Here, I am using raw sugar as it does not have any dominant flavour and colour to alter the intended result.
The amount of sweetness depends entirely based on your taste buds, so go ahead and experiment.
Want some more Kid friendly recipes?
EASY TO MAKE PINEAPPLE CAKE – An easy-to-make pineapple cake using fresh pineapple juice. A moist and fluffy cake to enjoy.
FLUFFY & MOIST STEAMED JACKFRUIT RICE CAKE– A steamed jackfruit cake made using rice flour and jackfruit.
4 INGREDIENTS DRAGON FRUIT ICE CREAM– Dragon fruit ice cream is made using fresh dragon fruit pulp and fewer ingredients.
BAKERY-STYLE COCONUT BUN | THENGAI BUN– A butter-free bakery-style coconut bun stuffed with flattened rice, coconut and tutti-frutti.
STUFFED BANANA FRITTERS/ PAZHAM PORI– A flattened rice, coconut-filled Nendran banana /Kerala banana fritters to enjoy with hot tea.
How to make kid’s friendly pandan coconut cake
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Raw sugar- 1/2 cup
- Milk- 1tbsp
- Pandan extract- 5 to 6 tsp
- First, grind coconut in a mixer grinder to get a fine texture. Do not grind in to paste.
- Add coconut, sugar, milk into a pot/pan on the stove and mix them well till the sugar dissolves.
- Cook for 10 minutes in medium flame or till the mixture comes thick and rolls into dough.
- Take the mixture from the stove and spread it out evenly on a flat pan. Use a knife to cut into pieces in desired shapes, while it is hot.
- Let the coconut cake cool to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container.
- I used raw sugar in this recipe. White sugar can also be used.
- Avoid brown sugar, jaggery or black sugar as they have dominant taste and colour to alter the intended result.
- I used fresh pandan leaves to extract pandan.
- Fresh pandan leaves(screwpine leaves)-30 gm
- Water-1 cup
- Wash the pandan leaves to get rid of dirt, and mud.
- Cut into pieces and grind along with water.
- Strain the juice into a jar.
- Keep the jar in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours to settle down the pulp or thick part of the juice.
- Strain the juice and use the settled extract at the bottom.
Some more healthy snacks & treats
3 QUICK TO MAKE CHIA PUDDING-HEALTHY FRUIT DESSERTS– A quick-to-make healthy dessert made using chia seed ad fresh fruits.
MOONG/MUNG DAL KHEER | PASI PARUPPU PAYASAM– A healthy and nutritious dessert made using moong dal, jaggery and coconut milk.
CLEAR AGAR-AGAR JELLY FRUIT CAKE– A clear jell fruit cake made using agar and fresh fruits.
CRISPY BAKED WONTON CHIPS IN OVEN– A crispy wonton chip baked in an oven and seasoned with salt.
HEALTHY MILLET PANCAKE CEREAL | TIKTOK VIRAL– A healthy TikTok pancake cereal made using finger millet flour, and wheat flour.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly page for healthy recipes.