This is one of the simple, crunchy snacks when we want to eat. Tangy healthy lotus seed snack is our favourite evening snack. I like to make it often as it requires less time to prepare.
This is our family’s’ movie time snack which replaces the popcorn. And this works as a make-ahead recipe to store. I posted one simple masala lotus seed in my previous post. This one has some sweetness and tanginess.
Things needed for lotus seed snack
These edible kernels of the lotus plant have extremely high nutrient content makes them an extremely healthy snacking option. These lotus seeds are low in cholesterol, saturated fat and sodium. These ideal snack for untimely hunger pangs are also gluten-free, protein-rich and high in carbohydrates.
This recipe contains Indian masalas. Chat masala, dry mango powder, chilli powder, pepper powder are the main masala ingredients used for the tangy twist.
This lotus seed snack not only tangy it has sweet blend too. I am using brown sugar for the caramelized sweet-tangy punch.
Tangy sweet lotus seed/fox seed/makhana
- Lotus seed/Fox seed-2 1/2 cup
- Chat masala-1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder-1 tsp
- Chilli powder-1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder-1/4 tsp
- Palm Jaggery or brown sugar-1 1/2 tbsp
- Add chat masala in a bowl. Add chilli powder.
- Add dry mango powder.
- Now add pepper powder. Add salt and mix everything together.
- Keep the powder aside.
- In a hot pan, add oil. In low heat add lotus seed/fox seed and fry until it becomes crunchy.
- Now add the brown sugar and masala and mix well.
- Stir frequently to avoid burning the lotus seed/fox seed.
- Be cautious when frying the lotus seed/fox seed to avoid burning it.
This low calorie, low sodium, low-fat snack is ideal for hunger pangs. Best snack for weight watchers.The home roasted fox seeds are best when less oil used.
Do check out my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates,check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.