This crispy fish fry is a simple version with fewer ingredients. This can be a great appetizer or the best side dish to the main course. This goes well with Sambar, Rasam and Ghee rice.
This recipe uses less oil to fry the fish. Healthier than the deep-fried version. As we are going to shallow fry the fish, the fish retains its moisture. I am not adding any food color to this recipe. If you prefer the fish to be in red color add beetroot juice.
What do we need to make the fish fry
Any firm fish will work in this recipe. Grouper, cod, Malabar trevally, and tuna can also be used.
Indian spice/masala powders
I used commonly used Indian spices/masalas to marinate the fish. I’ve used coriander powder, chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder along with ginger-garlic paste to give a punch to the marination.
The heavenly aroma and flavor from the curry leaves will definitely be an add-on to the fish fry.
Along with salt, lemon juice is added to give a little sourness to give a kick to the overall flavor.
Fish recipes to try
Thai style steamed fish– A Thai-style steamed fish recipe includes ginger, lime, and lemongrass.
Pan-fried salmon with dill– A pan-fried salmon recipe marinated with Indian spices and dill.
Sardine mango curry-A simple coconut-free sardine curry includes mango to get the aromatic flavor and sourness.
Pan-fried seer fish for a simple lunch
- Seer fish slices-1/2 kg
- Coriander powder-2 tsp
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder-1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice-2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Clean and wash the fish slices.
- Marinate the fish with coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat fry pan or Tava with little oil. Add fish slices along with curry leaves. Turn frequently to prevent the fish from sticking in the pan.
- Any type of fish can be used in this recipe. Seer fish has thick flesh which will give the firm fish fry. Small fish can be used in this recipe as well.
- If you are buying the whole fish, try to cut thin slices to get a crispy fish fry.
- Coconut oil can be used while frying the fish to get more flavor.
- If the masala paste is not sticking enough in the fish slices, add 1tbsp of gram flour and 1 tsp of rice flour along with the masala.
- The fish can be grilled with the same ingredients. If you are planning to air-fry the fish add 2 tsp of oil in the marination stage.
Seafood recipes to try
Stuffed squid fried rice– A fried rice stuffed inside squid and pan fried.
Tom yum fried rice– Shrimp added to yum fried rice made using home made tom yum paste.
Prawn masala– A simple prawn masala made using Indian spices.
Singapore style fried vermicelli– A Singapore style fried vermicelli includes shrimp and fish cake.
Prawn tofu laksa from scratch– A Malaysian laksa recipe made using homemade laksa paste and added with prawn and tofu.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly for healthy recipes.