Today I am making the homestyle chicken mandi recipe using a pot and tava. This homestyle chicken mandi is a mild yet tasty lunch or dinner recipe to enjoy in any special day or get-together.
Are the Mandi and biryani same?
No, Biriyani is a dish that is made with rice, meat, masala in a blended way. In biryani, the meat, rice and masala are cooked together or cooked separately and layered together to get the aroma in a way called ‘dum’.
On the other way, Mandi rice and meat is cooked separately and the meat is served on top of the rice.
Which type of rice is used for Mandi?
Basmati rice is the optimal option for making Mandi. If you want to substitute some other rice, choose a long-grain variety and adjust the required water quantity according to the rice.
Is this the way the traditional mandi made?
No, the traditional mandi recipe cooked in a pit underground/tandoor. The rice pot is kept inside the tandoor without touching the hot charcoal and the marinated meat is placed on a wire rack on top of the rice. The whole tandoor is closed and has an air vent to remove excess smoke. The slow cooking method is followed in the traditional cooking process.
To achieve the charcoal flavour while cooking the mandi at home in the stovetop or oven, a small piece of charcoal is placed in the centre of the mandi pot. The charcoal is fired and the pot is covered to absorb the aroma of charcoal.
How to prepare mandi at home?
The whole Chicken Mandi preparation is divided into 3 parts.
1. Mandi spice mix preparation
First I used the pantry ingredients to prepare the mandi spice mix. The general cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves, cumin, coriander are the spices I used to prepare the spice mix.
2. Chicken marinate & preparation
The chicken has to be marinated with lemon juice, salt, olive oil, along with the spice mix. The marinated chicken will need its resting time of at least 15 minutes. The chicken is cooked in the water to make the stock. The cooked chicken is fried in a pan to get the golden colour.
The whole spices, chilly and basmati rice is sautéed and cooked in the chicken stock.
Chicken Recipes to try out
CLAYPOT CHICKEN RICE IN A PRESSURE COOKER– A clay pot chicken rice that includes mushroom, made in a pressure cooker.
TORTILLA LASAGNA ON THE STOVETOP– A chicken lasagna made on a stovetop that uses a tortilla.
CHICKEN CURRY WITH PANTRY INGREDIENTS– Simple homestyle chicken curry made using pantry ingredients. A coconut free curry recipe.
HOMEMADE CLEAR TOM YUM WONTON SOUP– A clear tom yum recipe that includes chicken stuffed wontons.
How to make homestyle chicken mandi | Arabic cuisine
- Basmati rice-2 cups
- Chicken-500 gm
Mandi Spice Mix
- Cumin seeds-2 tbsp
- Cardamom -6
- Cinnamon sticks-3 pieces
- Black peppercorns-1 tbsp
- Bay leaves-3
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp to 1 tsp
- Lemon juice-2 tbp
- Mandi spice mix-2 tbsp
- Olive oil-1 tbsp
- Oil to cook chicken
- Cinnamon-1" stick
- Green cardamom-4
- Bay leaves-4
- Dry lemon-1(big)
- Big green chilli (non spicy)-1 to 2 or capsicum-1/2
- Mandi spice mix-3 1/2 tbsp
- Water-3 cups
- Salt as required
Mandi spice mix
- Dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds one by one.
- Keep aside until they cool down.
- Add the ingredients required for spice mix in a blender.
- Add the roasted cumin and coriander and grind into a smooth powder.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Keep aside until it is required.
Chicken Marination & Preparation
- Add lemon juice in a bowl.
- Add salt.
- Add olive oil
- Add the spice mix.
- Add the cleaned and pat dried chicken in a bowl. Mix well until everything blends together.
- Spread the masala to cover all the sides and parts of the chicken.
- Keep aside the chicken for 15 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken in a pan/kadai.
- Add the required water that is needed to cook the rice.
- Cook the chicken until it is soft.
- Transfer the cooked chicken and keep aside the stock to cook the rice.
- Add oil in a tava/ kadai.
- Add the cooked chicken and fry until the sides turn into golden colour.
- Add oil in a pan.
- Add bay leaves.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves one by one and fry.
- Add the onion and fry.
- Add the washed rice and fry for a few minutes. The frying will result in fluffy rice.
- Add the chilli and fry.
- Now add the chicken stock.
- Mix well and add water if required.
- Add salt.
- Add the dry lemon.
- Mix well and cook covered.
- Place the fried chicken on top of the cooked mandi rice.
- Sprinkle the fried onion on top of the mandi and serve.
Middle Eastern delicacies
KUNAFA-MIDDLE EASTERN LOW-FAT DESSERT– A low-fat dessert recipe that is crispier outside and gooey creamy inside and topped with pistachio.
FALAFEL IN 2 WAYS-BAKED AND FRIED– A middle eastern fried and baked falafel recipe made using chickpeas.
HIGH PROTEIN BREAKFAST WRAPS– A high protein vegetarian wrap suits for a to-go breakfast or dinner made using tofu and vegetables.
CILANTRO LEMONY CHICKEN– A chicken stir-fry recipe that is flavored with lemon and cilantro.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel GameOfSpice for more healthy vlogs. For instant updates about new recipes check out my Instagram. For recent updates, check out my Facebook page. You can also go through my pins on Pinterest. Check out my Yummly page for healthy recipes.