Banana bread is my kids’ favourite evening snack. Mine too😀.
When we went for our weekly grocery shopping I saw some nice bananas. So I thought we will buy them.
I hung the bananas in a banana stand and thought that they will stay for a few days. I saw some brown spots form and the bananas started to fall. My kids could not possibly eat all these bananas in one day.
I was scanning my brain to look for some banana recipes…In response to my suggestion for Banana pudding, my mind said “I already did this”
Banana wheat flour appam, “Hmmm, It is a regular dish”
Banana fritters, “Too much Oil”.
So I started to search the recipe book that I am keeping for more than 6 years. I saw the banana bread recipe. The one thing I like in this recipe is that it is not calling for oil and it is an eggless banana bread recipe. I am adding applesauce here.
I am not using any banana bread tins to bake. Instead, I am steaming the bread here.
I added walnuts and flaxseed meal too from the add-ons list. My kids enjoyed banana bread while watching TV later.
I hope you enjoy too.
- Applesauce-1/3 cup
- Jaggery or Raw Sugar-1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract-1 tsp
- Ripe Bananas-3 Large
- Whole wheat flour-1 3/4 cup
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Baking soda-1 tsp dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- Whole rolled oats-1/2 cup
- Ground flaxseed-1/8 cup
- Walnuts-1/4 cup
- Dried fruits-1/3 cup
- Mash the banana or use a blender to make a puree.
- In a large bowl, add apple sauce, banana puree, vanilla extract, jaggery or raw sugar. Mix them well until the sugar dissolves and blends together.
- Add dried fruits, chopped walnuts, if you desire so with the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add the baking soda mixture and mix them.
- In a bowl, add the wheat flour and salt. If you plan to add flaxseed include now with the dry ingredients.
- Now combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Pour the batter into a lined cake or bread loaf pan based on its size. If you prefer, sprinkle some rolled oats on top.
- Now steam cook the batter for 40 to 50 minutes or until it is cooked thoroughly.
- Wrap and cover the lid of the steamer with a cotton cloth to avoid dipping water from steam.
- This same recipe can be baked. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes.