Curry is the most used word in many countries. Indonesian and Malaysian curries use local ingredients such as chilli peppers, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, turmeric, Tamarind, Shrimp paste, cumin, coriander seed and coconut milk.
Rendang is a famous curry blend with meat among Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia.
Thai curry uses chilli peppers, kaffir lime, galangal, basil leaves, lemongrass. The famous red curry, yellow curry and green curry are distinct not only in their colours. Their ingredients are also different.
In Chinese curry, White pepper, soy sauce, hot sauce or hot chilli oil may be applied to the sauce to enhance the flavour of the curry.
Japanese curry is less spicy and seasoned with Indian and Southeast Asian spices, being more of a thick stew than a curry.
We cannot conclude the topic of curry without mentioning the country named India. India has many languages, many states, many cultures and many food varieties, many curries. To name a few Rajasthani Kadhi, butter-rich Punjabi rajma, coconut rich Konkani delicacies, Gujarati kofta curries, Goan vindaloo, Kashmiri rogan josh.
Mild chicken curry without any coconut and cream makes the curry more healthier and frequent eating dish.
- Kampong Chicken-750 gm
- Chopped onion(big-sized)-1
- Chopped Tomato(big-sized)-1
- Diced potatoes-2(big-sized)
- Chopped Ginger-2inch piece
- Chopped Garlic-5-6 cloves
- Cinnamon -2 inch
- Bay leaf-1
- Coriander powder-4 tsp
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- cumin powder-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Chopped cilantro leaves
- Add oil in hot pan. Add onion and saute till it becomes soft and translucent. Then, add ginger and garlic saute for a while.
- Add tomato and season with salt. Cook till the tomato becomes mushy.
- Now, keep this aside and wait till it cools down into the room temperature.
- Grind the onion-tomato mixture into a smooth paste with little water.
- Add oil in a hot pot, add cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and saute for a while.
- Now, add the ground masala paste and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Fry till the masala blends together with the powders.
- Add the chicken pieces, potatoes and mix well. Cook covered in low heat for 3 minutes. There is no need to add water. The chicken itself will release water to cook.
- Now, add enough water for the curry. Add salt. Add chopped cilantro leaves and cook covered until the chicken is tender.
- Kampong chicken is used in this recipe. Normal chicken can be replaced for kampong chicken.
- Kampong chicken is not a free-range chicken. It is a particular breed of chicken native to Malaysia and Indonesia.
- I am adding whole spices in this recipe to get a mild curry.
- Red skin potatoes or russet potatoes can be used.
- This chicken curry can accompany Rice, Chappathi, Appam, Idiyappam, Prata, Ghee rice, Palada, Rice Jala.